Friday, April 6, 2012

Devil Dare You


Let's get dirty!
After reading Waffle's blog last night I was re-inspired to make some positive changes in my life. Haven't done any exercise since the 5k. Not only that I ate like a pig. I'm talking Jack in the box at midnight then going to bed kinda pig. So last night took the dog on a walk a little over two miles. We dragged ass but did it in 35 minutes.


I signed up for another 5k. This one I will run, no dog, no excuse. It's called the Devil Dash. The theme, 7 Deadly Sins. There will be obstacles, mud, blood, fire and then beer! Two of my friends have agreed to do it with me. One that did the 5k, one who is training for a triathlon. The more the merrier!

April usually sucks for me. The 26th is the anniversary of my Mom's death. This day has always been hard for me. I usually spend it in tears. This April will be especially hard because the 15th is the one year anniversary since we bought our beautiful house.

Our kitchen
View from living room
The day we got our keys was probably the happiest day of my life. I'm sad that Grrouchie won't be here to celebrate it. Although the end of our romantic relationship is best for us I'm sad about the way everything ended.

Once again inspired by Waffle's words I've decided to attempt to change for the better. I will be taking vacation from work the week of Mom's anniversary and have signed up to volunteer 5 days at my local public radio station. No one including myself understands my love for NPR. I am beyond excited to be able to do something for this organization that I love.

One more thing, starting next week I will be volunteering at Three Square Nevada's only food bank. This organization does amazing work. They have a program that provides low income grade school students with food for the weekends. For a lot of kids living in poverty the food they get at school is their only consistent source. I have personal experience with this. Growing up I knew kids who only ate at school. They'd even go in early because schools provided free breakfast. So I'll be there just helping put together the weekend meals for kids :)

During Christmas with every dollar donated they were able to provide a person three meals! I was so blown away with this statistic that I started a collection at work but had lack luster donations. In the end I was able to donate about $120. Next year, my goal is to raise at least $1000.

Speaking of raising money, in 2013 I will be fund rasing for St. Baldrick's. This organization funds research to find cures for childhood cancer. They have hold these fun events where folks get their heads shaved in solidarity with the kids fighting cancer. I will be letting my locks grow long then next year getting it shaved! Seems extreme but I have shaved my head before, long story.

That's all I got!

8 comments:

  1. Carmel, Nice job with the walking. I'm thrilled waffles is inspiring you.

    Carmel & Waffles sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S- I-N-G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie you inspire me to, to not be a cry baby and be a badass and get shit done. I have a very fierce image of you in my mind

      Delete
    2. No offense to Waffles, I view him as a cautionary tale and one of overcoming odds, self and the world.

      Delete
    3. Awes ty Carmel. Chicks rule!

      Delete
  2. Kissing? What are you a rank amateur Josie? LOL.

    Your a pretty inspiring person yourself Carmel.. It seems like you are always trying to do nice things for people like food banks and homeless people and stuff like that.

    Only reason I would donate my hair to a cancer charity is so I could go into work, and some dude would turn to me and say "WTF dude? Why the hell are you bald?" and I could turn back and say "I donated to a cancer charity" and make him feel like shit! YEAH! Perhaps I do have some charitable bones in my body lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day to day, I'm a real asshole to most people. I really try to make up for it with this kind of stuff. I really should work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my defense, most of the time I'm stressed and the people I interact with are intolerable

      Delete